Monday, May 9, 2011

Starting to sew..



Hi everyone! Happy Monday! =)

It's been about 8 months since I first started sewing..so it's needless to say that I'm not an expert on any sewing related topic. But I received a request (!!!!) on doing some beginner sewing related posts..so here goes nothing!

Okay, so I know that starting something new especially when there's no one next to you telling you how to do something can be scary. I was totally scared. I even still get nervous about new skills I haven't tried or mastered (inserting a zipper..gasp!) But seriously, you just have to jump in. You will be amazed at how much you learn and how accomplished you feel..even if you're project doesn't turn out super nice.

I'm assuming you don't want to do only hand sewing..but if you do, bless your heart. If you don't, you will need a functioning sewing machine. I highly suggest going for one that has the easy front threading and an automatic needle threader and bobbin winder. My newer machine, the Brother Innov-is 80, does. It's fabulous and I absolutely love it and don't mind changing thread EVER.
 When I started sewing, however, I had the Singer 500A Slant-O-Matic..from when? The 1950's? I LOVE this machine, but the threading can be difficult at times, and I spent a lot of time and a lot of patience threading and re-threading the machine. I still learned quite a bit and it worked..but it wasn't nearly as convenient as the Brother. So if you have the option, go for the easier threading/newer machine. 


Some other things you will need are pins, thread, extra bobbins, an iron and ironing board, and cutting tools such as fabric scissors, embroidery or thread scissors, and especially if you're quilting I suggest a rotary cutter, clear ruler, and self healing mat.
My first fabric scissors were just Fiskars ones from Walmart, and they work just fine. The thread scissors I'm talking about were also from Walmart, and were.. I don't know 3-4 dollars? But they're great. The cutting end is slightly curved which makes it easy to clip threads nice and close to your project. 
horrible picture but you can see the curve

And of course, you will need fabric. If you're cheap like me (LOL) and you don't want to pay retail price for fabric you'll be learning on, go to yard sales and thrift stores to get some stuff to practice with. Or ask your friends and family if anyone has fabric they don't want/old curtains, ETC.  Practice sewing straight lines, making seams, sewing curves, using different stitches..just get familiar with your machine and how it feels.
Then, you need a project, big or small, to make. Get a pattern if you want, or just wing it like I did for my first sewing project. Either way, just go for it. Mistakes will be made, it will never be perfect. Don't worry about it. Consult books, or like me, the internet (youtube.com and this fabulous blogland) for tips, tricks, advice, or inspiration. Seriously, if it weren't for the internet I don't think I'd be sewing yet.
But really, I can't say it enough, just go for it. You will learn so much in every project. And hopefully, you'll love it as much as I do and end up thinking about sewing constantly. LOL.

I think that's it for now..if there's anything I left out or you have questions on feel free to let me know. AND if there's anything else you want to read from me DEFINITELY tell me, I love to hear from you!

3 comments:

Jessica Ann said...

Hi Kayla, So glad to read this blog post. So a few of my friends got into sewing once they had kids and I kinda wanted to start about a yr. ago but never did. I found out a few weeks ago that I'm pregnant (1st little one) and and still thinking of sewing. I guess my question is, once you buy the things you mentioned, is that pretty much all that I'll need? I want to make like easy stuff... curtains, baby clothes of some sort maybe pillow covers for the couch. Is this stuff hard or fairly simple to learn? And last, how much is a sewing machine going to cost me? Sorry for the lengthy comment.... but I just had to ask :)

-Jess

Kayla said...

Jess,
First off, CONGRATULATIONS!!! That is so exciting for you!! =). When I began sewing, all that I listed was all that I had, and it seemed to be more than enough. (oh, except if you're going to be using sewing patterns, I suggest some type of marking device like tailor's chalk or fabric pencils to trace the pattern) To do curtains or a pillow cover definitely should be relatively simple, they are really good beginner projects because they don't involve too many steps or crazy techniques or anything like that. A sewing machine (new) can cost anywhere from $75.00-up to the thousands.. my newer one was like 600 something..but my friend just got this one:
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Brother-50-Stitch-Sewing-Machine/14237605, and it cost her about 150.00 dollars, and it has the easy threading and bobbin winding and automatic threader. I don't really know about any other ones (sorry!) but that one seems to be really good for the price. I hope this helped! xoxo
--Kayla

Jessica Ann said...

Thanks Kayla, I'm gonna check out the one your friend got :)

-Jess