Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Little Treasures



Have I mentioned at least a hundred times that we love yard sales here? Well, we do. Sincerely. You can find stuff you actually really need and have been looking to buy retail for next to nothing, and also some really great vintage/antique/collectible items. They are awesome. It's something to get us out of the house on days where we don't have much to do. Do you go to yard sales? Well, you should. lol.

On a very recent yard sale trip, I feel like I scored big with a bunch of vintage loot. And do you know what I paid for allllllllll of these items? One dollar. What?!?! You can hardly buy a piece of candy for a dollar anymore. I was thrilled to pieces. Take a gander.
2 vintage scarves, a glass honey jar, a few yards of lace, a bunch of vintage self cover buttons, and a small handbag



Everything is in really great shape. I mean the scarves are super clean, no stains. The larger of the two with the blue flowers has a little tag that says "Made in Italy" and it's 50% rayon and the other 50% is nylon, I want to say. The other scarf is quite small, but it's interesting because it has a bunch of pictures and writing on it describing the process of making fabric. I got a kick out of it. =). The buttons I grabbed because it just seems like a good notion to have on hand, and the lace looked bridal (lol) because it's white with a little bit of silver on it. The handbag ( I think it might be handmade) has a super interesting outer layer texture to it, and is a sweet blue fabric inside. And the honey jar. I just love it and and can't explain why haha. It says " 1 pound pure honey" on the front.

Now, if your eyes aren't completely falling out of your head yet from reading my ramblings, I have a couple of other little treasures to share with you that we picked up today from the Golden Nugget Flea Market. 

Look at this sweet cross stitch/embroidery.  I have no idea how old it is. I paid three dollars for it, but I just had to. It's almost the same prayer we would say at bedtime growing up. =). Except that after we said that we'd say "Now I lay me down to sleep I pray the LORD my soul to keep. Guide and keep (?) me through the night and wake me with the morning light. Please God bless: Mommy Daddy Leah Kayla Ben Aunt ___ Uncle____ Cousin____ etc etc etc and all our friends and animals and _____ and ______ and ______ in the world. AMEN." I'm sure our extras took about five minutes but it was cute and I loved doing it. Seeing this took me back to that innocent sweet time so I was happy to pick it up.
AND finally, something I'm extremely excited about--although I paid way more for it than I normally pay for anything at flea markets or yard sales--a miniature printing press, complete with the (badly decomposed) original ink brayer, and the original box.  It's only big enough to make business cards, or something similarly sized, and probably only accepts about size 7 font. But it's so neat, with original gold paint on it, and doesn't need much cleaning to get it functional. We paid $30. The guy wanted $40 but hubs talked him down. =). 

So yeah, that's it. =). What are some of your favorite finds???

No comments: