Saturday, February 19, 2011

The ruffled scarf

 As promised, here are some pictures of the ruffled scarf. I'm just not even feeling excited about it unfortunately. But you might like it!
wow, sorry this is sideways, for some reason blogger won't upload it the way I have it in my computer. weird.

Well, if you do like it and are interested in making it, the good news is it's really easy. You will need your fabric of choice and elastic thread. I had a yard of seersucker and only used a little over a half yard worth.
1. Cut two strips from your fabric of choice 9" wide by 42" long. If you have enough length just cut one strip 9" wide by 84" long.
2. Join the two strips together
3. Finish the raw edges all the way around
4. Hand wind elastic thread onto a bobbin. Make sure you don't pull it taught, it need not be stretched out.
5. Set your sewing machine tension to the highest it will go (mine was 9), and make your straight stitch the longest it will go (mine was 5). Straight stitch down the middle of the scarf, back stitching at beginning and end.
That's it. So easy. I just wish the ruffle was more like "BAM! I'M A RUFFLE!" I even did two extra lines of the straight stitching on either side of the first line to try and make it more ruffled, but it didn't really make it more defined which is why I left it out of the five whole steps it took to make it.
Meh, oh well, live and learn right.

1 comment:

Dragonfly Goddess said...

I am excited about this even if you're not...it's fab!