Thursday, February 3, 2011

sew FDNY

Hey guys! So, for those of who don't know, almost hubby is a fire chief. We had a very productive "FDNY" past couple of days...almost hubby received his new to him leather helmet in the mail and re painted it..and I re sized and fixed his Chief name tag for the back of his bunker gear. He helped though:
He was so kind and offered to do the most boring part: stitch ripping! What a sweet pea.

I used his other name tag as somewhat of a reference but ended up making the Chief name tag wider so that it would completely cover the velcro on the gear. It was a very simple project, but nerve wracking for me because I was terrified I would make a stupid mistake and mess it up. =). I didn't. It turned out just fine. See?  FDNY!
Yesterday I also crocheted another hat with a brim but used really chunky yarn and it ended up wayy to big. I absolutely did not account for the chunkiness of the yarn. But that's okay. It's really warm and if you fold it up a little it's still cute so I gave it to my sister's girlfriend Heather. =) AND almost hubby and I went to a Salvation Army about 20 minutes away from us, and wow what a gem! It was huge, organized, and the prices were so much better than the thrift stores closer to us, so I was absolutely thrilled. I got 4 blazers, 3 sweaters, a pretty slip, a t shirt, 2 pairs of comfy pants, a little ceramic sewing machine looking thing, a polo shirt for almost hubby, a CD, a vintage zipper, buttons, and yarn needles all for less than 35 dollars. -Sigh- I was so happy.
On a personal note, I'm trying to quit smoking. It's the first day today and of course it was quite rough. I know it will get easier, so at this point it's just mind over matter.. plus I decided that after every month of being smoke free I will reward myself in some way. Like, after the first month I'll buy myself a nice pair of boots that I've been coveting. Haha, as if the health and financial benefits aren't enough for me I have to bribe myself with shoes. Whatever works, I guess. So, wish me luck. I was definitely on edge today, and grumpy. I'm trying not to let it affect how I talk to other people, but I keep having to catch myself. Any advice or words of encouragement would be greatly appreciated. I'll try anything to make it easier =) .

No comments: