Monday, March 7, 2011

I took the leap!

Hey everybody! Happy Monday =).
Guys! Guess what?  I finally did it. By "it" I mean I finally cut into one of my patterns for a dress-then cut into some of my fabric..then started piecing it all together. Yay, I am making a dress. As some of you guys might remember, I really have been wanting to sew clothing for awhile, so I finally decided to try it and give up on being scared. So far it's been pretty easy, I even put pockets in. But, I have to buy a zipper and put that in and do sleeves and all that jazz, which (like everything) I have never done before but it will be fine, hopefully.
I'm using this pattern:
Simplicity 2444
And I"m actually using fabric I already had, so kindly donated to the "Kayla's learning to sew" stash by Geri, my partner at work and friend. I think they were curtains but that's okay. I wanted to use fabric I already had and that was free because I don't know what I'm doing, and was unsure about the sizing anyway. So if it turns out nice it can hopefully be a wearable muslin.
Don't you love my professional pattern weights? =)
And here's what I was able to get done this evening:
So the dress is mostly together
That's the fabric. I'm proud of my darts haha. Is it too obvious that it's curtain fabric?
Hopefully I can get the zipper tomorrow and figure that mess out. And then I can finish the dress. What do you guys think? Did I do alright so far?

2 comments:

Ophelia.K said...

Hi Kayla,
I am so happy to see someone is starting to sew!! You are doing pretty well and I am sure you will love to wear it! I remember how much I was impressed when I finished my first dress:)

Kayla said...

Hi Ophelia, thank you so much for the encouragement! This has been such an exciting process so far, but it's still so nice to hear from someone who sews so beautifully! Thanks for stopping by =)