Monday, March 14, 2011

Weight Loss.

Hey everyone! I hope you all had a great weekend! I was absolutely correct in my prediction that I would not get any sewing done. Boo! So, even though I have no new fancy creations to show or ramble about..I did want to talk about something that I have been focusing a lot of attention on recently. Weight Loss. Phew. It's kinda intense. I've really only been trying this for about a week, and I have lost 7 pounds! SEVEN. Awesome, right. But, I have a long way to go. I mean a long way.
I'm 5'1". Maybe 5'1.5" on a good day. And I have been overweight for awhile now. Like, wearing a size 12 or 14 pants. Granted, that's not horrible for some people, but for me, well..let's just say I don't carry it well.
I work nights on a rotating schedule. That means I have two days on and two days off, and every other weekend is a three day weekend. It's really not that bad. Except that on my work nights, I work from 6pm to 6am, then we have almost hubby's son on our days off (which I love) but we have to completely switch our sleep schedule around to days as soon as we're off. It's rough for me. It's rough to try and eat at regular times. I ended up resorting to eating one meal per day, dinner no less. I've been doing that for about two years, and let me tell you, my metabolism went right out the window. I have gained a lot of weight since being on nights. It makes me grossed out about myself. haha. Also, three years ago, I tore my ACL in my right knee. I had to have reconstructive surgery, which thankfully was successful. But, I gained a lot of weight there too. I went from being on my feet all day everyday to nothing, and was depressed. It was no bueno.
So needless to say, I am tired of it! I'm tired of being basically inactive, of eating garbage food, and of knowing it but not doing anything about it.
Luckily, almost hubby and I are doing this together. It really does make it so much easier. The funny thing is, I have to make myself eat more food. The right kinds of food of course, no junk, but more food. I wake up, have a big cup of water, and eat breakfast (like a protein shake or eggs), a snack later (like a banana or apple or fat free yogurt),  lunch ( turkey sandwich on whole wheat bread), another small snack (like carrot sticks), and dinner ( standard, chicken breast, vegetable, maybe some brown rice). Just examples, but you get the picture. Lower bad fat, lower carb, more smaller meals a day instead of one big one)Also, I've been exercising. Admittedly I'm starting slow, like walking with my lovely sister, some ab work, yoga now and again..but I'm getting there. I'm trying, and that's what's important. You can't get anywhere if you don't try.
I plan on keeping this up until I get to a healthy weight, and then of course maintaining that healthy weight will be my priority. In conjunction with being a non smoker ( 1 month 11 days so far), I will be a much healthier person. =). That's the goal anyway. 

1 comment:

Leah + Heather said...

YAYYYY way to go Kay :) So proud of you!